Sunday, November 09, 2008

Does any one know....

I'm going out on limb here, but since I've been looking for a math tutor on line for the last 5 weeks of Algebra it's starting to get on my nerves, it's one thing to return to school, it's a whole different ball game when you haven't had math since high school. I'm struggling with algebra, and I have no idea how to learn math, with out my husband's help, as long as he can guide me through it. There are several problems that neither one of us can figure out. He's a lot better in math than I am and so I've gone to him for most of my problems, this time around neither one of us can figure how to do the math problems.

My on line tutoring through my student web site will not help me with take home quizzes they will help with home work problems as long as you don't get someone who is not willing to show you how to input your work. I have tried several web sites and none come close to what I'm needing, if any of my readers know some great math teachers please send them my way I'm in need of someone who is willing to give me a helping hand. I'm willing to learn math as long as the other person doesn't make me feel worse about myself, I'm doubting myself in learning math, I know I'm not good at it. But at the same time I understand, it's one of many subjects that I need to learn.

So here's a few of my math questions if any bright person who understands math please post your answers in my comment box I'll retrieve them after I get home from work.

2-3(q-1)=10-(q-1)

x x
- + - = 20
2 3


3z 2z
- - - = 10
2 3
By the time I'm done getting together with a former class mate of mine, she will have shown me how to do this kind of work, once I master the next five weeks of math I'm sure, the rest will be a breeze. Thank you for coming by and helping a student in math.

4 comments:

FTN said...

I can help with the first one, although I'm not sure how easily the explanation will come out in a comment box.

2-3(q-1)=10-(q-1)

You want to get q on one side and the integers on the other. There are a few ways to do this, but I'd start by subtracting 10 from both sides.

-8-3(q-1) = -(q-1)

Then you need to break out the (parenthetical) formulas, which you can do by multiplying everything inside by the number in front of it.

-8-3q+3 = -q+1 and then
-5-3q = -q+1

After that, it's just a matter of getting the q on one side and the numbers on the other.

-6 = 2q

Divide both sides by 2, and you have it.

-3 = q

Does that make sense at all?

Rob said...

Here are the 3 solutions.

First take the line for each problem and slowly work out the intermediate math resulting in the next line below it. Continue down until you finally work out the value of the variable in each problem (q, x, z).

Problem #1:
2 - 3(q-1) = 10 - (q-1)
2 - (3q -3) = 10 -q +1
2 -3q +3 = 10 -q +1
2 +3 -10 -1 = 3q -q
-6 = 2q
-3 = q

(to prove it's correct:)
2 -3(-3-1) = 10 - (-3-1)
2 -3(-4) = 10 - (-4)
2 + 12 = 10 + 4
14 = 14

Problem #2:
X/2 + X/3 = 20
3X/6 + 2X/6 = 20
5X/6 = 20
5X = 120
X = 24

(to prove it's correct:)
24/2 + 24/3 = 20
12 + 8 = 20
20 = 20

Problem #3:
3Z/2 - 2Z/3 = 10
9Z/6 - 4Z/6 = 10
5Z/6 = 10
5Z = 60
Z = 12

(to prove it's correct:)
(3 x 12)/2 - (2 x 12)/3 = 10
36/2 - 24/3 = 10
18 - 8 = 10
10 = 10

Summer Rose said...

Ftn - Thank you, for helping me out with the first problem. Now it makes more sense then trying to have some help you who wants money.

Rob - Thank you, for answering the last two problems, now that I'm going to have to retake math 208.
S.R.

Rob said...

You're welcome, S.R. Good luck! :-)