Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Can I Scream Now!!

Is screaming allowed in city limits? Or will I have the police knocking on my door for disturbing the peace? I'm not about to find out though, events it seems like a damn good idea at the moment. As CH has explained my hours suck, the pay good and I'm fighting sleep on my way home from work. Can't work days just for the reason C has done it again! Only Ch doesn't know that C tried to bite his helper thats working with him. And thank god for her quick thinking got him into a tight bear hug and held him until K could get over to them. He was really good last week, no problems. Except for yesterday, C had a melt down. No one is sure what caused it. The only guesses I could come up with is, he's not use to having so many kids around him at one time. C was brought straight to the classroom the first three days of school which got him familuar with his surroundings. This week he is to be left and play on the play ground, so today I decided to leave the house a few minutes before the bell rings for school start. So if your wondering, why I'm leaving the house right before school is starting? It's very simple our house is exactly five houses away from the school, so I hear all the yelling, whistle blowing, and bell ringing from our house. It's walking distance from home and I don't have to deal with no parking around the area. I'm not like the rest of the parents who are struggling to find a freakin place to park! I'm not about to fight for a parking spot. And yes I will be walking in the cold. It would be useless to drive, and getting even more of a workout, after I drop and pick up C from school.

While I was sitting in the office this morning, I overheard someone talking about putting full day kinder back to half day. All the fighting I've done so far to get him the help he needs and there are a lot of special need students this year. And now they are talking about maybe switching it back!?! Who the hell do they think they are dealing with here? I will not stand for this school district or any district to promise me one thing and turn around and do what they think is best! If this does happen I can assure you I will find a way of getting C transported out of this school district. And I could care less how much they are losing in money they, should have thought about that before they went all day. I haven't gotten my TB test done just for the fact, I don't know how things are going to go.

As much as I wanted to yell at K for taking him on at their school, they knew about this they knew it could happen. And yet they put him at this school, thinking that he will be older and still putting him and his student helper at risk, both of them could have gotten hurt. She did explain to me that they are going to change his studies while in school, so they can see where his weaknesses are and how to get him back on track again. She explained to me that she will not be getting the training she needs until October, after all we had the I.E.P meeting 4 months ago and they were suppose to have their training done before school started back up again. Is this normal? They had high hopes for C, to me it's just another unsure path.

The 4 weeks of summer school he did well, He had a few grey areas. We got them taken care of he worked well within his abilities. If he had more schooling or someone to teach I and CH how to handle C better when he had his melt downs, I'm sure I wouldn't have huge knots in my shoulders from holding my breath for so long. And I wouldn't have K calling me with a sad report and having to lash out, when I got the news. Yes I'm very much emotionally drained as I'm typing this. As much as I wanted to take a damn nap today. I was waiting for a counselor to call me she will be seeing C starting next Monday I'm meeting with her on Thursday morning. I've had one hell of a day.

Our oldest doesn't have a student aid either, they are still trying to find someone to help him. Just another bump in the road with this school district! Yes I'm already fed up with everyone that works here. It doesn't pay to stay in a small town and what's really sad is all of the money is tied up in Sac. For their needs and we get nothing!! But a sticky mess and not sure which way the tide will either be in my favor or it's going up river.

I know this is not what everyone wanted to read, when you've been handed a lemon the best thing you can do is make lemonade, that is pretty much what I have been doing. Until we get every test done on C. I'll be glad when we finally get answers that we need so we can give him the proper help and schooling that he needs. Right now we're all just trying different sensory actvities to see what works and what doesn't and go from there. And I do understand this is all new to him, give him a chance before we start making more mistakes with him.

As I'm writing this, I'm starting to fall asleep. I have had my nerves tested and tried today. And the best thing for me is sleep. As for my new job, it's good there is still a few kinks that need to be worked out, it does take time to adjust and get comfortable in. It's only the second full week and so far I'm trading hours with someone or I'm working for someone else, because it was too late for them to take the time off of work. So I'm happy to do it, I'm not complaining just means I should be able to accumulate the hours I need for my surgery, sometime this fall. Hopefully they haven't forgotten.

Okay that's about enough, of venting for one night. I'm going to turn in and go to bed I'm tired my eyes are starting to hurt and just want some sleep. Keep us in your thoughts when you have a few moments. And I will be doing the same.

5 comments:

The girl-next-door said...

All I can say is "WOW". You two have got your hands full...have you applied for Regional Center support? They have an awesome respite program that provides parents babysitters THAT ARE TRAINED so you could relax a little.

And as for your school district...they suck. Many of the kiddos I work with have aides provided by private agencies - written into the IEP by some savvy advocates. Our school district has nothing to do with their hiring...maybe they have agencies in your area that offer these services.

Basically, I'm saddened by the way your family has been treated by their local school. If you don't have a copy of the Composite of Laws you may want to order one (free of charge to parents of special needs children). This reference book outlines state and federal ed codes and puts the guidelines schools must follow in black and white.

Sorry for the long post SR - it just makes me mad that you aren't getting the help that you need to get your little guys learning and happy at school. Email or IM me if you need another perspective - after 8 years in the classroom I've seen what other parents have done to get their kids what they need to be successful and would happily share the details if you need them.

Summer Rose said...

girl-next-door, thank you for understanding. Iming would be great only problem is I leave the house while everyone is getting home from work this weekend we're wanting to take the kids somewhere. Fishing sounds so good right now, we'll just have to see. Here's my email address. dhunter75@yahoo.com
again thank you.
S.R.

Rob said...

SR, I'm really sorry to read about all your problems these days but like I told you and CH last night, try to hang in there and I'll save you some ice cream (if there is any left to save)! (evil grin)

Emily said...

Wow, that sounds so exhausting and difficult.

And it sounds like you really need to catch some zzzzzs, too.

April said...

I don't really have anything inspiring to add to this, hon...but I'm thinking of you.

*hugs*