Thursday, March 09, 2006

Had a Meeting tonight.

I'll have to back up just a wee bit here, last Monday our d's brought home notices from school, letting us know there will be an Parent or Guardian input meeting. Wanting our input about I.E.P's and how's it been since school has started whether or not it's been helpful, or needs improvements. It was a split right down the middle some say it was good, bad and new to having a child in the I.E.P program for those who were new they got a rude wake up call. You can't just sit there and these teachers walk all over you. You have to take stand for what is right and fight for little bit of help! I've been doing I.E.P's since our oldest was in pre-k, and still fighting for the help he needs in reading, math, and speech to say the least we are so low on the funds for the speech therapist no one is willing to come this far for the pay. In the meantime we do have a therapist for the school year whether or not we have one for next year we will have to wait and see, so as the meeting got under way there was only one teacher there as much as I would have every inch of me say what I thought of our ds#2 pre-school there were also some that think she is a good teacher. The only reason why she was there because she has kid's who are needing help through I.E.P's Oh that's right she's the who said our ds#2 needs extra help and what the hell! By this time I was not in a good mood I let them all know up front. It doesn't matter what grade your child is in that I.E.P needs to be followed, it doesn't matter who the teacher was from last year those goals are meant to be followed and not tossed away like yesterday's mail. Many of us were there to express just that, one parent said her child hasn't had the help she's needed since the fourth grade entering high school next fall, another said the teacher gets up on her desk and yells at the students our ds#1 is in her class makes me think should I go visit his class? Any takes? One the rules to I.E.P's is when it is in writing it should be followed our ds#1 hasn't had the help he needs in reading at all this year. I stated that it takes me over ten min. To start homework with him takes me over two hours just to do one page of homework and it has to be in cursive every bit of it, no exception to the rule he has a lower motor skill in writing it's in the I.E.P his teacher also didn't do the reading asesments that were sent to his teacher to do this year another goal setback. Can it get worse? I'm hoping not! As the meeting wore on, some who were new had no idea that the teachers will write the goals and not follow them at all they will say one thing and turn around and skip the whole I.E.P setup. Come to find out the reports were being made right then and there and being sent to School board in Sac. Sometime this week so if we had further things you had better have it out either tonight or in the next week because no one is getting off the hook so easily. I may have a few teachers backs to the walls in the next few months if they have to go in front of the school board, another thing that brought up is why do teachers have to say one thing, and do another it's unfair for any child to be left behind in the school system. Others will say let the teachers handle it! Wrong answer mine is you better be on those teachers like water to a ducks back or you'll be the saying, where the hell did I go wrong!?! Most of us there tonight know how the system works you either start fighting now or end up were most of us are right now. Having the school board walking in with pink slips, I know bad picture when you have to fight like mad and you sit in an I.E.P meeting and having your child's teacher tell you we are not going to use any of the goals sent over here from the previous teacher and your sitting there half yelling at them because they feel they don't have to. All of us there tonight, did bring our concerns front and center and each one was addressed, there were a few things that pissed me off today I get the mail what do you think I found? A speech report the first in three freaken years! It's about damn time someone finally sent me one of those to me. As for other reports such as reading, math haven't seen one of those since last year! Oh by the way report cards are due out shortly three months left of school, I smell a rat somewhere! As for our younger son's teacher she was there tonight the only teacher in the room full of mom's that were pissed off and she had some nerve of showing up only because her child is an I.E.P student so makes you wonder what the hell is really going on! To me this school district is some hot water over not providing for their students. Or someone has finally came forward and called the districts office of special education. Whatever the case may be they've got my support in dealing with the staff, at the elementary and high school. It's getting late I've been up since 6:20 a.m. I've got to get up early tomorrow I've got a client that needs a massage; Right now I just need well wishes and nothing more. Please have a good weekend I'm working on a different post for next week this was nagging to get posted.

5 comments:

Pretty peanut said...

I'm sorry to hear that your meeting didn't sound like it went well at all.
I may sound dumb here, but what is I.E.P?
I have noticed that a lot of teachers now-a-days don't take the "blame" for anything. They just put something out there, and don't even really teach, and then blame the kids for not getting it. It's really horrible, to be honest. I think that there are a lot of good teachers out there, but somehow the good kids always get the ones that don't care.
Go figure.
I hope you have a great weekend!!!

Summer Rose said...

Pretty peanut,
to answer your question what is an I.E.P the long name is
Individualized Education Program too long to type. I'm sorry, I should have done one sencentce using it.

I was a little upset and a little tired when I came home.
And concered not just for my children but for everyones that just came into the program.
Have a good weekend I sure will going bowling tomarrow night! Ya!

Summer Rose said...

daddy's lil girl
I guess that is why they came up with this idea I know for a fact the two gals that were running the meeting both have been to my oldest I.E.P meeings before and I fought hard at the beginning of the school year for our oldest to have the same reading as in the fourth grade neihter said they would I should have known. It was going to be swards to swards!

His last years teachers were great not one problem did I have, they told me what they wanted and I gladly accepted.

This year I'm finding myself wondering if he is doing good in the areas he needs help in.

I have a feeling there is an investagation going on and their just now getting to the low line of the schools on the delta.

S.R.

Confused Husband said...

I talked to a coworker today who has a grandchild that was in the same school as our oldest son. He is Autistic. Well his teacher was fired after they transfered him to another school. She would grab the boy and shake him. They would call him stupid in front of the students, and pick on him in the classroom. These were TEACHERS doing this not students.
The teacher was fired and now they are investigating the aid. The parents are also sueing the school. They are actualy a big reason as to why the schools are being investigated by the state. Hopefully this will help everyone that is involved.
CH

Summer Rose said...

texas_ivyten
Thankyou for the well wishes, it seems as though a rat has been left to eat our children in the school system.

I have make a small post on Ch's comment and see what everyone thinks.
S.R.